The L.E. Phillips Career Development Center's first official meeting was on July 1,1959. On that day the organization was incorporated under provisions of Chapter 181 of the Wisconsin Statutes. The corporation of "The Shelter For Handicapped, Inc." was formed without stock and not for profit. The Center was one of the first rehabilitation facilities for individuals in the State of Wisconsin. On January 27,1970 the name was changed to "Career Development Center, Inc" and in January 1977 the name was changed again to become the "L.E. Phillips Career Development Center, Inc."
Our articles of incorporation state the purpose for which we organized was: "To establish maintain, manage and support, through public and individual effort and appeal, a place for the employment of persons who are disabled or disadvantaged, and to provide a means where by such persons can enter into a gainful occupation." The people who are participating in the work areas are as diverse as the products provided. Individuals referred to the Center come from all over the state, from as far south as Milwaukee and north to Rice Lake, and from around the world. In addition to the vocational opportunities, the Career Development Center also has a Corporate Guardianship program. We have been approved for 125 wards throughout the State of Wisconsin, and currently have 92 wards appointed by the court.
Today, the L.E. Phillips Career Development Center serves over one thousand individuals on a yearly basis, while maintaining the original purpose for which the Center was originated. The L.E. Phillips Career Development Center also works in collaboration with many other agencies in the Eau Claire area such as but not limited to the Eau Claire School District, Chippewa Valley Technical College and Literacy Volunteers of America. It is the intention of the Center to move and grow and remain flexible to meet the needs of workers in the Chippewa Valley.
Member Since: 2013